Nduja is a spreadable sausage made in Calabria mixed with Calabrian hot peppers. It used to be impossible to get except in Calabria, but now you can easily buy it on the Internet, even in the US. If you like spicy flavors, and you want to try something really good and unique, buy some Nduja, and do as I say since I grew up eating it.
In short, Nduja has all it needs, do not add anything to it!
- 1 box (500 grams) of spaghetti
- Approximately 200 grams of Nduja
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- That is all you need to make 5 people very happy.
- Fill a pot with a little less water than you usually use for boiling pasta and turn the heat to high. The reason you do not want too much water is that you will use some of it, and you want it to have enough starch.When the water boils, add the pasta and stir it to make sure it doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pot. Add salt once the water comes to a boil.
- In the meantime, put a large skillet on the stovetop. Add the Nduja, and bring the heat to low/simmer. Using a wooden spoon, break up the Nduja to release the fat.
- When the pasta is very “al dente” (about 2 minutes less than the cooking time specified on the package), remove 1 cup of the water it has been cooking in and set aside. Drain the pasta, then pour it into the skillet containing the Nduja, keeping the heat on low.
- Mix the pasta with the Nduja and ½ cup of water, stirring gently for a couple of minutes. If necessary, add some more of the reserved water. Don’t add any cheese!
Italiano: Spaghetti con la Nduja (5 persone)
Tipico piatto calabrese, spesso rovinato da preparazioni complicate. Questo è un piatto semplice e cosi va mangiato.
- 500 grammi di spaghetti
- 200 grammi di Nduja
- 1 cucchiaio d’olio d’oliva buono
- Calate gli spaghetti in una pentola con non troppa acqua.
- Allo stesso tempo mettete in una padella un cucchiaio d’olio e l’Nduja, fuoco al minimo e con un cucchiaio di legno aiutate l’Nduja a sciogliersi.
- Appena gli spaghetti sono al dente, rimuovete 1 tazza di acqua dalla pentola con la pasta, scolate la pasta e mischiatela con l’Nduja e ½ tazza dell’acqua dalla pentola.
- Girate bene 2 minuti, aggiungendo acqua se vi pare secca.
- Niente altro, per favore.
- Buon appetito!