Recipe from bonappetit.com
- 8 ¾-inch thick slices crusty bread
- 6 tbsp olive oil, divided
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- ½ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 15oz. cans cannellini beans, rinsed
- 1 bunch kale or mustard greens, ribs removed, leaves cut into bite-size pieces
- ½ cup low-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
Brush the pieces of bread on both sides with 4 tablespoons of oil total, and place in a large preheated skillet over medium heat. Working in 2 batches, cook the bread, pressing occasionally to enhance the crispiness until golden brown, which should take about 3 minutes per side. Season the toasted pieces of bread with salt and pepper, and set aside.
Now, increase the heat to medium-high and heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil in the same skillet. Add the thinly sliced garlic and red pepper flakes, and stir until fragrant. Then, add the cannellini beans, stirring occasionally, until they begin to blister, which should take about 3 minutes. Using a spoon, lightly mash half of the beans, and add kale and broth, tossing frequently until the kale has been wilted. Add lemon juice, and season with salt and pepper. Serve the now finished beans and greens mixture over the toasted bread.
Photo from http://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/skillet-bruschetta-with-beans-and-greens