Basic Tomato Sauce (for 4 – 6 people)
I use a basic tomato sauce as the basis for many recipes. Whether you want to make a lasagna, an eggplant parmigiana, or a fast pasta for a group of hungry kids, use this recipe. It literally takes less than 10 minutes to prepare, especially if you are using canned Italian plum tomatoes.
- 1 can of Italian plum tomatoes (chopped), or a box of Pomì chopped tomatoes
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 Italian red pepper or a Thai pepper, minced (optional)
- A handful of chopped fresh Italian basil
- Salt and pepper to taste
How to Make this Recipe
- Add olive oil to a large skillet and heat to medium.
- When the olive oil is warm, add the sliced garlic cloves,.
- Allow the garlic to turn golden; then remove all of the garlic, using a fork.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and basil and bring the heat to high. Add salt and pepper. Stir the ingredients together and allow to cook about 5 minutes. DO NOT OVERCOOK!
- Turn fire off.
- If you are using this as a sauce for another dish, you can use it immediately. If you are using it as a pasta sauce, mix with spaghetti or other pasta, add freshly grated Parmigiano cheese, and enjoy!